Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Guest Bedroom

Walk with me down the stairs of our home. We only have a half basement. It is small, but kind of fun. With the warmer weather it's so nice to have the basement where it is always cool. Our basement consists of the smallest little hallway you could imagine, two large storage closets under the stairs, and two bedrooms. I decided to make the first bedroom a guest bedroom. 

Here is the before:



Then Ammon tore out the carpet and we had it replaced:


It's really hard to tell from this picture, but the carpet is nicer. I finally got around to painting and fixing up this room back in March I believe it was. My mom was coming to town for the week while Ammon was out of town. I had been meaning to fix up the guest bedroom forever and felt that this would be a good excuse to just get it done. I would like to say that I was able to do a little fixing on the walls, fix the trim, paint the trim, and paint the walls all in one day. I've still got it.

While I was busy at work painting I decided to open the window in order to tape it off a little better. The windows in our basement don't currently have screens, and though the window wells are disgusting and really need cleaned (it's on our mater list) I didn't think much else of it. I opened the window and what should fall in but a little garden snake. Now my long term readers probably remember our little snake problem we had begun just before this project started. This was the fifth snake we had spotted (we have since killed 11). I screamed. I'm not afraid of snakes, but come on. Luckily I was thinking on my feet. The snake was only half in the house so I slammed the window shut hoping that by pinching him like that I'd kill him. Well, it didn't work. So I ran upstairs while the snake was trapped and got a plastic bag. I ran back downstairs and looked around for what to do next. Sitting on the bed in the middle of the room was my hammer. I figured that would do the trick. I opened the window and put my slithery enemy in the bag and threw it on the floor. I grabbed my hammer and beat it to death. Then I felt guilty. Poor little guy. What a way to go. But I wasn't about to let him in my house. My mom is terrified of snakes so she didn't learn of this adventure until after she went home. And I'm very proud of her, she is sleeping in that room right now. I didn't think she would ever stay with me again.

This room was a problem for me. Not only did we have our snake adventure, but I managed to dump almost the entire gallon of paint on the floor. Luckily I had taken the time to lay down a heavy layer of plastic. So I was able to just roll the paint straight from the floor on to the walls. What a day. But when it was all said and done I had this to show:


I made the pillow shams to go with the comforter. I'm just barely learning to sew, so I'm pretty proud of my accomplishment.


That bookshelf was already here, I just painted it white to make it look better.


I also sewed the curtain to adorn this room. It took me a few tries, but they aren't too bad. Just don't look too closely.



I wish the lighting was better. This is one of my favorite colors I have ever used and you really can't see it. It is called  Classic Key Lime. It's a very yellow, cool, green. I love it!

As with all rooms in our abode, this one is not yet finished. However, the only element missing is a frame for the bed. Right now it is sitting on the floor. So if you come across a queen size frame that needs to go away let me know.







4 comments:

Teresa said...

Love your decorating style! I also love that you're using your sewing skills! Good job!

Cnbztribe said...

You are amazing when it comes to interior decorating....and your sewing jobs are awesome...keep it up....you'll be so glad you did.(Especially if you have a little girl next.)
The room looks great!

Olivia Cobian said...

Beautiful job! I wish I had your talents!

Jennifer said...

As one priveledged enough to stay as a guest in this beautiful guest room, I can tell you that it is not only super cute, but very comfortable as well. Melanee, you're amazing.