Friday, March 26, 2010

Slithery

If you read to the end of the post about our long trip then you already know that we had a snake visitor. If you did not read to the end, I don't blame you. Brevity is not one of my talents, and I know these posts get long. Well, I would like to give a full account here. We returned from a long trip on Monday. We had left the pilot light on our water heater on, but not the actual water heater. We had also turned down the heat, so it was rather chilly. There was one warm spot though. And that was near the pilot light of the water heater. Ammon walked into the laundry room and saw a little garden snake wrapped around the pipe by the pilot light. It saw him too and started to take off. But Ammon was the hero of the day and he nabbed it before it could escape. Then he took it outside and despatched of it while I had a little freak out moment. But then we moved on with our life.

On Wednesday we decided to get back in the yard to get some work done. We had been pruning our fruit trees before we had to leave for our trip, and we had never had a chance to clean it all up. Plus I have been attempting to weed the flower beds so that whatever flower it is that is growing there can do so unimpeded. As Ammon and I were discussing the project Ammon spotted another snake in the sun. I ran to get my camera and the snake took cover under the siding of our house. I was a bit worried that it would try to get into the house, but we once again moved on with our life.

A short while later we saw the snake. Ammon grabbed it and despatched of it. And our lazy dogs just stood there looking. They didn't even react to the intruder.
The weeding was getting a little tough so Ammon went and got a bucket of water to dump on it. Then it happened. He spotted another one. So, he went digging in the flower bed.
And he came out of there with this:
At this point I was starting to get a little more worried about our snake problem. But decided that I should not freak out. If you know me, then you know that I am rather fond of reptiles. Even snakes. But this is different. I like them in cages and domesticated. Or as domesticated as they come. I do not approve of them slinking around in my garden beds, and I am decidedly against them sneaking into my house.

Well, before the day was out there was yet another snake spotted and destroyed. Did you see that patch of flowers that Ammon was searching through? Yeah, I haven't revisited it. Especially with Ammon gone during the days now. Who will take care of the enemy? As you can see, the snakes all met their match when it came to the cinder blocks.
But my aim is not as good as Ammon's. So, our battle with the snakes is Ammon 4, Snakes ?. I'm thinking we should get some geese. Ammon thinks we got them all. I haven't gone looking for more. Yikes. Does anyone have any snake repellent?

3 comments:

nersey said...

I am with you Mel. I like snakes but only behind cages. Even the itty bitty garden snake has no buisness roaming free in my yard! I am glad that only friendly snakes are coming for a visit.

Nicki said...

Wowzer Melanee. That is like...my worst nightmare. I hate snakes. Even garden snakes that are totally harmless. They totally gross me out. Good luck! Wish I had advice on getting rid of them. Gross.

Olivia Cobian said...

Do geese eat snakes? That's nice to know. You captured the experience very well.