Monday, June 21, 2010

My Dad

I would be remiss if I failed to make mention of my father this Father's Day. I struggle to put down how I feel about my dad. He is a good man. I love him a lot. But how to convey that is something I struggle with. So instead I thought I'd just tell you a little about him. Growing up my dad would wrestle with us. I'm sure many fathers do this, but it was special to my sister, brother, and me. Especially because dad was so busy. He took time to be with us when we were young. He was the coolest. I remember telling some of my friends in school that my dad could drive a car with the fingernail of his pinky finger when we got in a fight about whose father was a better driver. Obviously mine was. He was also the strongest, smartest, most fun, etc. When Dad would tuck Sera and me in at night we would do everything in our power not to move for as long as possible so we "wouldn't mess the tuck up."

When we got a little older my dad would wake us up every Saturday morning by blaring Queen over the stereo. Then he would come in and practice his diving techniques on to our beds where we were trying to pretend like we didn't hear the music or see the crazy man about to leap on top of us. We would have to get up and get to work. But working with my dad was often a lot of fun. He was good to teach us lessons as we went. I remember driving over the hill into Wendover with my dad and him teaching me about the curvature of the Earth. Every time I come over that mountain and see the Salt Flats spread out and see how the Earth curves I think of my dad (and we make that trip fairly often since Ammon's family is in Nevada).

Anyway, most of this is just me rambling on about my pa, but he really was and is an amazing guy. I'm thankful that I had the coolest, strongest, handsomest, funnest (yes I know that's not a word), awesomest dad growing up. Yup, he's better than your dad. And he can beat your dad up too.

No comments: