Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Christmas Eve (and way too many pictures)

This year for Christmas Eve we made the trek up to my parents house. We arrived right before a massive storm. It was a beautiful white Christmas.

I got to relive my childhood Christmases. We would always draw names earlier in the year. Then on Christmas Eve we would have steak, french fries, and frappe. Then we would read the Christmas story from the scriptures. After the story we would exchange gifts and then open Christmas pajamas.

This year we were able to celebrate with my Grandparents and some guests from Panama that they had over, Elsy and Ivy.

Azure and Uncle Nick are good buds. He lets her play with his hat and pull on his beard. She loves it. I don't know what he gets out of it, but he's a good sport.


Cormac did his best to ensure that Great Grandpa would get a good night's sleep.




Then the present opening began. Azure got to go first. Cormac pretty much opened everyone's gifts for them. Then he would let them see the gift afterwards.


Azure got a fun turtle to bounce on from Grammie Christie.

Uncle Nick scored big by getting Cormac a new train.


Ivy got a headband, earrings, and a couple necklaces from me.

I honestly can't remember what Uncle Nick got, but I think my dad had his name.

Azure charmed everyone. She's such a fun, sweet little thing.

Elsy had Ammon's name. She went through a lot of heartache to get this tie made for him. It's a really neat tie.

Grandma Garrison had my name. She gave me a cow ornament. Once upon a time I was very into cows. My nick name was Melanee Moo growing up after all. I have a pretty good collection of cow ornaments. She also gave me a notebook made entirely from cow poop. Yes, you read that right. We have now established that Grandma gives the crappiest gifts.


Cormac had Elsy's name. She got a watch, bracelet, earrings, and a necklace.

Azure had Grammie's name. There was a request for new hot pads. My dad complained that she had been using the same jack-o-lantern hot pads forever. So he was celebrating as she pulled these out. There was a ceremony later to discard the old hot pads. Mom also got bath salts and bubble bath.

Ammon had Grandma. Grandma loves drinking out of these mason jars with handles. She was running low on them, so we found some new ones for her.

Ivy gave Grandpa a tie also.


Dad got an awesome shirt from Grandpa.

 We also have a random tradition of giving my grandma the ugliest ornaments we can find. I'm not sure how it started, but she has an entire tree devoted to these ugly things. This was my parents offering this year. Oddly enough, my Aunt Sheila ended up giving her the same one.
Grandma also got a new ugly ornament.
 By this point in the night Azure was feeling really exhausted.


Last thing we did was open pajamas.



It was a very wonderful Christmas Eve. Took me back to my childhood.

No comments: