Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving Craft

A few weeks ago I saw a cute little art project that my friend had posted on her blog. She and her toddler had made these cute signs:


Well, after I put away my Halloween decorations I broke out the Thanksgiving decor. Let's just say the collection was dismal. We needed something else. So I thought we'd get crafty. Jenny had made hers on cardboard using art paint. Well, I didn't have cardboard, and I didn't want to buy paint. But if there is something we have around here it's lots and lots of random pieces of wood and board and more paint than we know what to do with. I used paint samples on a piece of plywood type stuff that I found outside. Worked pretty well. But next time we'll wait until it's nice outside and we can do it in the grass. My floor was a mess!


I tried to cut out the shape of a leaf in potatoes. Yeah, that was horrible. But Cormac just wanted to swirl the paint anyway, so my failed artistic ability didn't really matter too much in the end.


I dipped the first potato in paint and handed it to Cormac. What did he do? Put it in his mouth of course. Then dropped it on his foot while spitting everywhere. It drives me crazy. At dinner I'll try to give him something new to try and he won't let it close to his mouth. He acts like I'm trying to poison him. Then I hand him something like a raw potato with paint and without even thinking he shoves it in his mouth. Crazy little boy.


If you've ever seen my paint clothes, or seen me after a paint project you know that I can't do anything (even just a touch up job) that involves paint without getting it all over myself. I'm so proud of my son. He has learned well as you can clearly see.



And the finished product. I think it adds a nice festive flare. It was a lot of fun. Cormac loved every minute of it. Even the bath and shower afterward.


5 comments:

Cnbztribe said...

What a great project! I'll bet Cormac had fun...what kid doesn't like to slather paint everywhere right?! It turned out very cute!

Cnbztribe said...

P.S. my 12 year old still thinks I try to poison him...He's still so picky, but he DOES try more things though. I can just see him get called on a mission to some 3rd world country or somewhere they eat cows eyes or something like that. HA!HA!

Olivia Cobian said...

That turned out so great, Melanee. I'm impressed you involved Cormac! He's a lucky boy.

Marianne said...

Very cute Melanee. I hope you are having a wonderful birthday! It was so fun to see you guys during Thanksgiving.

Mark Dahl said...

Melanee--this is Coralee, not Mark. I love your Thanksgiving decor and your other posts too. I hadn't looked for a while and missed the last couple. Thanks for the good photos of all of you.