Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Alligator Tears

My grandma with her brand new son, Leonard.

I remember how sad I was when Cormac started crying actual tears. It's one thing to have a baby crying. It's another thing entirely to have tears. I told Cormac how sad I was to see his alligator tears. I'd been calling them that for a few days when Ammon finally asked me why I called them alligator tears. I stopped for a minute to think. I couldn't come up with a reason other than that is what my mom used to call them.

The next time my mom was visiting I asked her why she called our tears alligator tears when we were growing up. Her answer? Her mom used to call them that.

Dorothy Lister Wilson

My grandma passed away a few years ago. I miss her. I've been missing her a lot lately Maybe it's because every time I walk through my house I see her beautiful table and chairs (thank you so much Aunt Harriet for giving us these).


Maybe it's because becoming a mom has made me think more about the moms that went before me.

Dorothy hugging her oldest, Harriet.

Maybe it's because I did her life story and there were so many unanswered questions. Maybe it's because I've been cleaning out my computer lately and backing up old files, many of which are pictures from her life. I don't know what it is, but either way, I really do miss her lately.

Dorothy and Jesse Wilson on their wedding day.

My grandma was an amazing woman. She is a legend in my family for her work ethic. It is common knowledge that no can pluck a chicken, shuck corn, or peel a potato as fast as my grandma could. She was handed a lot to deal with in her life and she did it so well. I admire her for the life she lived. I hope to be the kind of woman she was.

Me, Christie (my mom), Nick (my brother), Sera (my sister), and Dorothy (my grandma) in Hawaii.

So, I don't know why I'm missing my grandma so much at this particular junction in my life, but I am. It's good to know that we will see our loved ones again. I know when I see my grandma I'm going to make sure to ask her why she called them alligator tears.


6 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm missing her a lot, too. I told Jesse the other day I sure would have a lot of fun quilting and fabric shopping with her! Now I'm crying alligator tears, too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments. I love reading your blog. I appreciate your kind words about Mom. She used to cry very easily over movies, TV shows, and any kind of touching story... As a kid I used to think, "how embarrassing". Now, I still think, "how embarrassing"... because I'm the one who is crying over the same things my Mom did... but somehow I think I'm worse! Miss her terribly.

Heidi said...

Weird, I call them crocodile tears and Seth asked me why. I just said, "I dunno. That's just what they're called." :) Your grandma sounded like a fantastic lady. I think in some of the pictures you look like her.

Olivia Cobian said...

This made me cry and I didn't even know your grandma. I love your pictures.

Cnbztribe said...

What a beautiful tribute!

Brittany said...

Beautiful! We actually call "fake cries" crocodile tears when little ones are just pretending to cry/whine.