Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sleep Deprived


Last Sunday night the adorable little boy pictured here slept 9.5 hours, and there was much rejoicing. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was so sure we were finally making progress, and that from there on out I would be enjoying long nights of great sleep. Or at least that those nights would outweigh the nights of getting up.

Before this last Sunday we had gotten Cormac to only wake up once during the night. Then he would wake again at about 6:00 or 7:00, but would usually go back to sleep until 9 or 10. The two nights leading up to Sunday night were horrible. He woke up every 2 to 3 hours. It was miserable. I was exhausted. But it was okay because just when I thought I could do it no more, he finally slept through the night and there was hope.

Well, that is all gone now. He went back to his waking 2 times a night. Then last night he woke up every hour. Literally. Every. Single. Hour. From 11:00 on. I can't do this anymore. Does anyone want to come over and take the night shift?

2 comments:

Thelma said...

I'm so sorry Melanee. I remember those days! I remember one night some of Adam's former roommates stopped by and I wished I had a way just to keep my eyelids open because I was so so SO tired.

It gets better. Truly...that just doesn't help much now.

(I'm still a believer in the Ferber method...it works!)

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry too, Melanee. It will get better, but that's hardly any consolation at 2 a.m. I'll be in the long line of folks ready to hold him this weekend. Maybe you could take a nap?

I was never good with any of the alternatives to getting up... but friends had good success with white noise radios and swaddlers. I got up every time with each kid and watched a lot of Nick at Nite, then slept during the day when he did. Good luck and see you this weekend!