Friday, January 22, 2010

Five Years



Yesterday Ammon and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. It is much more difficult to have a romantic evening than it used to be. Three month olds do not like seafood or Phantom of the Opera. I had been craving Red Lobster, so Ammon picked some up after work, and I set a fancy table for us to eat here at home. As I was getting the water pitcher out of the strainer the handle broke off and cut up 2 of my fingers. Only one of the cuts is bad, but they all bled a lot. Sad. Then we watched Phantom of the Opera. Back when we were engaged Ammon took me to see that movie right after it came out. It was a wonderful date, so I thought we would relive it last night. Cormac does not appreciate it, and he cried through most of it. All three of us collapsed into bed at about 10:00 last night from exhaustion. Whew. My parents had 2 kids during their 5 year anniversary. We may never get to that point (the 2 kids, not the 5 years).

As I was contemplating what to blog about I thought of a story that I feel demonstrates the kind of relationship Ammon and I have.

My father loves the above pictured floss thingy. I do not really know what they are called. I have never been a big fan. Well, this summer Ammon and I got a bunch of them for free. So one night I decided that I might as well use them. I always start flossing from the very back on the bottom left hand side. I placed the floss in between two of my teeth, and as I tried to pull it out from between the teeth I was reminded of why I have never cared for these things. My bottom teeth are spaced very close together. After pulling for a long time I finally had to admit that it was not coming out without taking one of my teeth with it. So, I did the only natural thing I could think of, I turned to Ammon so that he could try. He gently pulled a little and realized the situation so he gave that up, not wanting to hurt me. But you know Ammon, he is a thinker. He grabbed a small pair of scissors and told me to open wide. We were both laughing so hard at this point it is a miracle that there were no accidents, but Ammon quickly freed me from the evil floss, and I continued the job the traditional way.

So, I think that this story demonstrates a lot about us. We rely on each other. We laugh a lot. We trust each other. Ammon has a very level head and steady hand (lucky for my mouth). I can't live without Ammon, he gets me out of all kinds of crazy situations. Ammon would never hurt me. I like to think I would never hurt him. I am a spaz most of the time. And Ammon is handy with all kind of tools. And, of course, we are still very in love.

3 comments:

Diane said...

LOL, that is hilarious. And sweet! Congrats guys!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations, you two. I loved the floss story, and I love the two of you. Lucky Cormac to have such great parents.

Clarissa Johnson said...

This is Marianne. Melanee, I wish I were there to bandage you as nicely as you did me when I cut myself on Thanksgiving. I don't think I could have done such a good job though. You are a good bandager.
Congratulations on your anniversary!