Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Midnight Plans for Utopia

There are many kinds of people in this world, and there are many people who fall under more than one category. I consider myself one of the later. I have many interests and many talents. I have quirks (like the fact that I have to have the toilet lid shut at all times, except for when in use). I also have many things in my life that I would like to be better.

This is not making a whole ton of sense. I have a million things running through my mind and am lacking the words and syntax to put them together. It probably doesn't help that I should be asleep in my bed, I am not asleep in that bed, instead I'm sitting up after valiantly trying to get to sleep. I should just mention here that I am on Ambien. That is one of the drugs that they have to get your driver's license number before they'll sell it to you.

Breath. Okay, what I'm trying to do is give you a little taste of what happens in the mind of an insomniac on drugs. This should be fun. I have been lying in bed thinking of the things I want to get in order in my life. One of the things I am generally good at is keeping my little world organized and in order. One of the things that I'm not so great at is doing ANYTHING in the heat. Based on those two facts, you can guess about the piles of things I have laying around needing to be organized. So, I was lying in bed making plans to get organized.

For the last few weeks Ammon and I have been going on house hunts. This is something we like to do when it is hot and we want to be in our air conditioned car. We have found several things we would love to buy, but nothing is really in our price range. So, it has been decided that we will be sticking it out here in Provo at least until the end of December. After that, Ammon graduates and gets a pay raise and then the sky is the limit.

I've been reading about ways to make your life better. Don't worry, I plan to tie all these threads back together here in just a minute. I have been reading about how overall health needs to be just that, overall. So, if you are going for well being, you need to foster that in your life, including in the environment that you live in. Your home and those things around you should bring a sense of calm, health, and peace into your life. I think some of it is a little granola, but at this point with me being on mass amounts of narcotics I'm probably in no position to point fingers.


Okay, so, my life is a mess right now because of my health, the heat, my lack of organization, and my dislike of my neighborhood. Don't worry, everything is wonderful in my marriage, at least I have that part down at the moment. I can't move into a new, big home that would help me to weed through the mess in air conditioning, so I need to come up with another plan. Here is what I came up with. I think I'm going to tear apart the house room by room and make it more comfortable, more organized, and adorable. I am going to paint some of the furniture and refinish other pieces. I am going to repaint my walls (any votes for colors?). I am even thinking of trying to create some art of my own. I'll keep you posted as that endeavor progresses. So, I think I'll start with the living room. Next I'll do the kitchen. Then the hallway (which will be easy) and then the office. I think I'll save our bedroom for last. Or maybe I won't...Maybe I'll go ahead and do that one sooner rather than later, then perhaps I could create the proper mood to get me to sleep.

This probably doesn't make a lot of sense. But I needed to get all my plans out of my brain onto something else so that I can get to sleep. I have a big job interview tomorrow that I don't want to screw up, so I should probably stop this. Basically I wanted to say that I'm going to try to turn some of my weak points into strong points by approaching them in a way that is fun. I can get myself organized by redecorating, which I want to do anyway. The redecorating will make me feel like I've already ended up in an entirely new house and thus I don't need to move. And the healing environment that my newly organized home will produce will solve all of my health problems, thus making my life bliss.

In other news. During this mass overhall of Ammon and my living space we will need to make sure that everything is in order and is as heavenly as possible. So, we will be having a party to give away random decorations (currently there are many flags, a train, some Christmas lights, Santa, and the ten commandments) and at this party we will be raffling off 4 very special furry friends. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Thelma said...

Sweet Melanee! I have felt this way so often (and often in the middle of the night!) Good luck in your house transformation endeavors. I already thought your house was wonderful.

It has to be said: Guess where it's not hot? Seattle. Guess where you and Ammon should move?

Marshall said...

I have thought the same thing. I got my office down . . . now for the worst room in the house . . .the kids room! Someone help me!