Thursday, July 24, 2008

Banana Cream Pie

Well, I did it! I successfully made a banana cream pie--crust and all. Now, this may not seem like a big deal to many of you. Many of you may be thinking that Melanee knows how to cook, so why should this be a big deal? Well, it's a big deal because my mom really didn't make pie very often. So, I really never learned. As far as making a crust on my own, that never happened. I usually just buy them pre-made. So, this is a breakthrough for me. I think I'm going to start making pie all the time. I can't live with the fact that there might be something in the kitchen I don't do well, so I guess I'll be practicing more. Maybe then we can put a few more pounds on Ammon.
Here's the birthday boy with his pie (a few days late, but at least it made it). I used a different recipe than what Ammon's mom uses. We both decided that this recipe isn't as good as hers (notice the tact that my husband uses, but we really did come to this decision together). So, I think I'm going to go ahead and try out Mama Dahl's recipe next.
I'll keep you posted on my pie progress. Perhaps I will need some taste testers, is anyone interested? Let me know. I need to go have some pie now, if you'll excuse me.

2 comments:

Marshall said...

The crust looks perfect! My family is HUGE on banana cream pie. And coconut cream. Every thanksgiving there is a contest in fact--which pie gets eaten most? Banana always wins. Hahaha. . . . but what do you expect? There is my dad, jimmy, me, dave, and joe on banana cream. Yeah, we will always win!

Okay, moving on . . . good job on your banana cream pie.

Unknown said...

Mel... hang in there. You'll make it through. Sorry to hear you're still not sleeping. I made an appt with the thyroid doc the first week of August... I'll let you know how that one goes! Congrats on the pie! Pumpkin is my favorite... but any pie is great! JenDy's baby shower... I'm so going to be there... are YOU?