Tuesday, October 27, 2009

One Week Down

Last week, about this time, our precious little baby showed up. It was a real adventure. I checked in to the hospital Sunday night. They got me prepped, which ended up being more painful than I had expected. It was a long, sleepless night for me. Bright and early on Monday morning we started the pitocin. It took longer than I thought for the contractions to get really painful. But they did. I labored all day long. At about 5:00 they popped my water. Then things started to get a little more intense. At 9:00 that night I finally got an epidural. The first try didn't go in right. The second try was better. At 1:00 in the morning they turned off the pitocin to give me a bit of a break. But I was still in labor and the epidural was no longer working. So we tried a third time. Somehow the little tube had gotten kinked and so I wasn't getting any medicine. At 6:00 in the morning on Tuesday we started up the pitocin again. A few hours later the epidural stopped working on my right side. They gave me a different medicine that took the edge off enough that I got a little sleep. I finally got to where I needed to be. It took 2.5 hours to push him out. No epidural, it had stopped working. But he finally showed up. He is perfect.

This last weekend my family came and saw the new baby. I think everyone is rather smitten with him. Except for when he cried all night. He has his nights and days mixed up right now. And we had a hard time getting the eating thing right. But I think we are finally getting there. He is the most expressive baby I have ever seen. It is fun to watch his face. I am extremely sleep deprived, but am doing pretty well. I think I may have some nerve damage since I still don't have feeling in parts of my legs. But I am optimistic that it will return with time.

We are moving on Thursday. That will be interesting. But my mom is here packing for me and doing everything I should be doing. I'm so thankful for her. I have some pictures of Cormac for you to enjoy.







Happy 1 week birthday Cormac.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Melanee,
I'm so glad to get an update! We've been thinking about you guys so much. Cormac is adorable. I especially love the picture of your mom with him. I can't wait to hold him! You are incredibly brave to move this week, but if anyone can do it you can.

We love you!

Julia Harding said...

Cormac is such a cutie. I'm sorry to hear how hard/long it took. I had to have an epidural 3 times too. I'm also familiar with the nerve damage. It took 6 weeks to get feeling back in my knees and 6 months for my back. Hope it goes quicker for you.

Julia

Teresa said...

Jesse says YOU were the most expressive baby, so Cormac must get it from you! I think he's absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see him in Utah!

Thelma said...

What a darling baby! Good luck with your move.

Unknown said...

Woot woot! So happy for you and Ammon and Cormac! He is really cute! Sorry about the sleep deprivation and all the issues... but remember how you got through them all so you can tell me ok?! :) Hang in there!

Edda Phillips said...

oh wow, I feel your pain. That sounded like the worst labor story I've ever heard. I didn't have an epidural either, but because he came too fast. Yours was slow. YOUCH. Get lots of sleep. He's precious. Looks just like Ammon.

Heidi said...

He's just so BEAUTIFUL!

Camille said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What a cutie. And way to go for being so brave through that whole labor and delivery. It sounds like it was an adventure! Now get some sleep.

Olivia Cobian said...

He actually looks like he's smiling! What a doll!