Monday, October 5, 2009

The Final Countdown

We went to the doctor this last week to discover that I'm 36 weeks measuring 40 weeks. So, once again, we have this problem of having a rather large baby. We still aren't sure if he is fat or if he is long, or both. I am still having regular contractions, but don't seem to be going anywhere. The doctor is afraid that if we wait until 40 weeks that I won't be able to have the baby naturally. At 38 weeks you are considered full term. So we are scheduled to go in to be induced on the 19th, unless something happens on it's own before then.

On the 19th they will start me on pitocin. If nothing happens, or if things just don't progress like they should, they will send me home, still pregnant, and we will try again in a few days. This scenario is by far the scariest to me. I don't want to go through labor pains just to get sent home and try again later. But the doctor is optimistic that this should work.

Now that we have a date to count down to, I am trying to figure out what to do to fill my time. The baby's clothes are washed and folded. Our clothes are washed and folded (though that will probably happen again before the end here). The house is clean, I'm just maintaing at this point. I have a few books to read, which I have been doing. I am updating my journal. I have started writing in the baby book. I need to scan some pictures, but they shouldn't take more than a day or two.

What else can I do to pass the time? Any suggestions. I hear that making meals to freeze is a good choice. The only meal I can think to freeze is lasagna. But Ammon and I are both lactose intolerant and all that cheese...well, you can imagine. Does anyone have any projects they like to do before the baby comes. And does anyone have any good recipes that do well frozen and don't involve mass amounts of cheese? What are other things you wish you would have done in the final weeks before your baby showed up? Aside from sleeping. I'm doing as much of that as my body will allow.


7 comments:

Teresa said...

Send me your e-mail address and I'll forward my favorite frozen meals. The Wilson Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe freezes great. You could also make meatballs and freeze for a variety of meals (meatball subs, meatballs with gravy and rice or noodles, bbq meatballs, etc.). Taco soup freezes great, as well as a variety of other soup recipes. Chicken Pot Pie filling is great to freeze, too (then you could just add the pie dough or top it with biscuits). I also have a great recipe for beef and bean burritos that my family loves. And for fun, it's great to have frozen cookie dough balls in the freezer to make a dozen or so at a time at the last minute or whenever you're feeling a craving (such as in the middle of the night when you're up with the babe!).

Unknown said...

Woo Hoo! The end is near! I was going to say soups freeze really well and hold up quite a while... and they are SOOOOO delicious! Other than that, pre-cooking and freezing some meat (like chicken or beef) will help as you can just reheat it and put it in a meal.

Keep me posted! :D

Melanee said...

My email is melanee.dahl@yahoo.com. I would love to get your recipes. Thanks for the great advice!

Marshall said...

I love that you posted that video! Haha, eden and I watched it and she started dancing. It sounds like you are compeltely ready, that's great! I have NEVER been as ready as I wanted to be. I would just rest and relax and be as lazy as much as you can. As far as frozen meals--tatortot casserole. If you like that. Or shepherd's pie. That's yummy. I had no idea you were lactose intolerant! So is Jeff, so I am used to cooking for him :).

Anonymous said...

o my goodness!!! Good luck! I have no ideas, becaause of course i am new at this too. But just enjoy some YOU time for the next week or so. You look GREAT and i cant wait to see your cute lil one! (or big one) =)

Sarah said...

how exciting!!!! (i have never made a freezer meal, so i can't help you on that.) good luck!

Brittany said...

Oo Mel would you mind forwarding me those recipes? I would LOVE to freeze meals! Thanks and good luck!!