Friday, October 16, 2009

Books, Books, Books

I have loved books ever since I was a little girl. Now, I must explain that a little bit. You see, I never liked books the way a normal kid likes books. My love of books has evolved over time to become something entirely different than it was when I was young.

When I was in elementary school I loved books. I hated to read. As a young child I loved having my mom read to me. I loved story time at school. I always liked to be read to. But I never enjoyed picking up a book to peruse the pages on my own. I did, however, love books. I loved owning books. I loved the way they felt when I would hold them in my hands. I liked stacking and reorganizing my shelf of books. I loved the way they smelled. I loved the way that the pages felt. I loved flipping through pages. I loved walking into libraries and seeing the books. Buying books was my favorite. I loved getting new books. When I was young what I wanted was to own and posses books. And lots of them. They symbolized the type of person I wanted to become, even if I wasn't then willing to do the work.

Somewhere in my teenage years I discovered that reading was a good thing. I am reluctant to admit that I found this love of reading through reading John Weyland books. If you aren't familiar with John Weyland let me just say that he writes Mormon, teen, popular literature. Very cliche, very predictable, and very corny. But I loved those books. I loved the drama. I loved that it always turned out all right in the end. There was always a romantic ending; just how I thought my life should be. For a few years I devoured those books. I didn't go through hundreds. Since I didn't start reading until I was older it took me a while to get through any book. I am still a slow, meticulous reader. But I was reading.

Then I left for college. I didn't know what I wanted to do or to be. But English was my best subject, so I started there. I read some interesting books the first semester. But nothing too thrilling. I think it was about this time that my mom bought me the unabridged version of Les Miserables. I would like to say that my intentions were pure curiosity when I started lugging that thing around and reading it. But that would be a lie. I loved being seen with a book that was several thousand pages long. I took that thing with me to Russia and all over Europe. But I did read it. It took me nearly a year, but I did read it.

During my reading of Les Miserables I learned a few things and evolved some as a reader. I learned how beautiful literature can be. It can be so much better than the cliche that I had been reading. But I also discovered something about myself that has changed my life. I love language. I love the way that some authors can take words and string them together in such a way it makes your spine tingle. I love experiencing the mundane and every day through the words of someone who has thought about it and nailed it with a simple sentence so beautifully constructed it sings.

I discovered many a wonderful book at this time. Then I went back to school and studied literature. Recently I read Peace Like a River. That book does it for me. Beautiful sentences, amazing characters, strong voice. Ah. It's like a warm shower after going sledding and getting soaked clear through. There are very few things about books that I don't love. I will admit that I have become a snob in what I will and won't read. I will admit that I judge books rather harshly. But even a cliche, quick read can have it's place. And I love that books fill all needs. I still love to own books. Ask Ammon. I have to have a specific amount alloted in the budget to keep myself under control. I still love to hold a book in my hand. I still love to move the pages around. But now, I also love reading the words, feeling the language, and visualizing the picture the author has painted in words.

And today what I love about books: well, I have about 2 more days until the biggest event that has ever taken place in my life will take place. Today, I love that I can lose several hours without missing them while I read the pages of a beautifully constructed book.

1 comment:

Marshall said...

I love reading your posts. I know exactly what you are talking about when you experience the beautiful language of literature. For me, I first discovered that in Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities." His language was SO beautiful, I haven't ever experienced anything like it. I have read Les Miserables as well, and I agree with your description. Reading does fulfill all needs. LOVE IT! I am thinking about you a lot today! You will be in my prayers.