Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oxford Comma

There are some things in life that I am very passionate about. The Oxford Comma happens to be one of them. For the uninformed, the Oxford Comma is the comma that you can choose to put in when making a list right before the and. So, if I were listing my family I can choose to say Tom, Christie, Ammon, and Melanee. Or I can choose to write it ...Ammon and Melanee, leaving out that comma. At this point in history it is really a personal decision. Most magazines and newspapers leave it out to save space. A majority of other publications still choose to use it. I am a firm believer in the Oxford Comma. I have a hard time when it is not there. I have become so passionate about it, that I am nearly to the point of never reading anything that leaves out this comma. It is important to me. If you are on the fence about the Oxford Comma I would advise you to consider using it. It just makes life more beautiful.

P.S. I can live with almost any other punctuation mistake, and am actually very guilty of making most of them. Those darn comma splices.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I myself am a comma fan. I ALWAYS use a comma at the end of a series.... it just isn't right without it!