Monday, July 13, 2009

Greatest Joys



I came to the realization today that I often post my complaints on my blog, and seldom post my joys. I am a pessimistic person. This is something I am working on. I married a man who is the complete opposite of me, and that helps me to see the brighter side. But despite my pessimistic outlook on life I know that I live a blessed and wonderful life. I am thankful for that life.

This morning Ammon and I were driving home from Pocatello (we had tried to make it home from Nevada on Sunday, but had to stop in Pocatello for the night, we were too tired to go on). Before we left our hotel room I had the strongest impression that we needed to have a family prayer to ask for safety on our trip. How thankful I am for prayer and that prayers are answered. We very narrowly escaped a horrible accident that would have landed us both in the hospital or worse. As I reflect upon this experience I realize that I am watched over and not alone. There are so many examples I could give when I know that a greater power has watched over me.

This greater power has also blessed my life for no apparent reason. I have been blessed to have family who care for me. My family puts up with all of my nagging, drama, and first-born-bossiness with grace. I know that I can be annoying. But they love me despite that. My family has let me grow and develop. They have been there through the awkward stages ready to support me. They have been there as I struggled with health issues. They have been there as I have struggled with emotional issues. They love me, which is a great blessing. And I would go to any lengths or do anything for them.

Ammon's family has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. Nowhere else have I ever been so accepted by a group of people. Marianne (Ammon's oldest sister) told me a few months ago how mad she had been at me when I was in high school. She was so angry for the way I treated her brother. And I did treat him bad. I dumped him, ignored him, and generally broke his heart. It is still something I regret deeply. I put myself in her shoes and am pretty convinced that I never would have forgiven the girl that had done that to my brother. Yet I seem to be forgiven by all of Ammon's family. They make me feel so welcome that if I'm not forgiven, then they are really good at putting on a show. I trust these people and love them dearly. I feel love from them. I know that they are excited to welcome our baby, and know that he will be loved, just because he is himself. 

Even Sandy and Charlie still love us after a few months of being apart. Sandy wouldn't leave me alone she was so excited to see me. She just kept running back and forth between my legs. I cried as we left them behind again for a few more months. But soon we will have them back with us. They are a source of joy in my life. I don't know how they did it, but those two have found a very soft spot in my heart.

I am blessed to see my husband every day. Most men in his occupation get sent on out of state jobs and leave without their family. They only get to go home every other weekend. I see my husband every night. I need Ammon in my life. He is my greatest blessing.

We have a roof over our heads. We have food on our table. We have a little one on the way against the odds. We have a steady paycheck right now. We were able to sell our home. We have reliable transportation. We have educations. We have the most comfortable bed ever created. We have fun together. We laugh together. We laugh with others. So while I may vent my pessimistic side more often than I should, I do know that life is good. I know that I have more joy and happiness in my life than many people more deserving than myself. I am blessed.

Life is good. And the baby started kicking as I wrote that. He must agree.

2 comments:

Julia Harding said...

What a sweet blog! You are such a beautiful, special, and amazing woman! I love reading your thoughts! We all can be pessimistic at times. Thank goodness for special people (like husbands) who can balance us! Thanks goodness for wonderful supportive and loving families too! The Lord knew what he was doing when we created us all and knowing what we need to succeed! Miss you!

Sarah said...

thank so much for sharing! it is important to just list our blessings sometimes. that's for the reminder.