Monday, January 5, 2009

Musings on Hair

I cut Ammon's hair this last weekend. You know, it always amazes me that he can stand to get the same haircut over and over again. He has had his hair cut the same way since his very first cut. I have tried to get him to go in and get his hair cut, but he refuses. If I don't cut his hair, then he'd do it himself. Which, I refuse, because he makes such a mess.
I have managed to move 27 times in my life. I attended several kindergartens, 2 elementary schools, and 2 high schools. My mother is notorious for rearranging the furniture when my dad is not around. She always managed to have the house completely re-done and moved around, on her own (even the heavy stuff). Growing up I changed my bedroom around at least every other month. That's just what we did. My family moves and changes.
I have now been married to Ammon for nearly four years. I new him before his mission as well and was able to visit his home right before he left. The only thing that ever changes is the placement of the big recliner. It moves to make room for a Christmas tree once a year. Other than that everything is in the same place. The furniture is the same that Ammon has always known (at least some of it is). His family doesn't move and doesn't change.
Perhaps the fact that we are such polar opposites when it comes to some things is helpful. I tend to think it is. But then there is the occasional evening when Ammon comes home to a new house than what it was when he left. He is always so frustrated that I would move the piano without his help and doesn't seem to appreciate that I sacrificed my body for the sake of change. I think it also perplexes him when I go and chop all of my hair off after spending a few years trying to grow it out. To him, it seems very complicated and makes no sense. To me, it's just what I do, I change.
So, we are entering a new year. We will be adding kids to our mix very soon, and we live in  a tiny little house. Guess what we are going to be doing for the next month? Moving and changing. Luckily, Ammon saw this one coming and is ready for it. But it is fascinating what the same old hair cut will make you realize about the personalities of two people.

4 comments:

Marshall said...

Moving, eh? Did you guys get a new house?

Melanee said...

Moving as in all the furniture.

Marshall said...

Got it ;). I was impressed you got a house closed so quick! haha.

Robert Johnson said...

Melanee,
I loved this blog. I also loved all the pictures and thoughts about your anniversary. You and Ammon are such a perfect pair. I'd never thought about how our family doesn't change. I guess in a lot of ways we don't. You're very insightful.