Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Christmas Blues

In my family it is a tradition to put up the Christmas tree on December 1st (my birthday). Up until that day we really don't listen to Christmas music or break out any decorations for Christmas. We especially don't do any of that before Thanksgiving! 

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love to see the leaves fall. I love the first and second and third snowfall of the year. I love the way it smells. I love baking. I love the feelings in the air. My family always looked forward to Halloween with great anticipation. It started off the holidays for us. Halloween was my dad's holiday. He would get so into it with us kids. It was a blast to have a chance to do some celebrating and have some fun with my dad. 

Than came Thanksgiving. When we were young we would go up to my grandparents cabin in Oregon. We would celebrate Thanksgiving and then have a mini Christmas party the next day. It was wonderful to spend four days singing AC/DC and choreographing dances to go along with the songs. 

We would come home just in time to decorate for Christmas and celebrate my birthday. The entire Fall season is sacred to us. Every Holiday gets its due. Every month has a new theme.

Well, I broke one of the rules. I have been listening to Christmas music! This year I want to skip Thanksgiving altogether and get on with Christmas. I think part of my enthusiasm is due to the fact that Ammon will finally be done with school, and we will be able to really enjoy our graduation. But I simply can't wait for December this year!

Is that wrong?

2 comments:

Ammon said...

I am horrified, as I am sure many of our readers are. It is a travesty to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Of course growing up we never got our Christmas tree up until about three weeks into December.

Melanee said...

Thanks Babe! I love you too. See the lack of support for my emotional break down?