Monday, November 3, 2008

APH Conference, come and gone

For weeks I have been creating posters for the Association of Personal Historians' big conference this last weekend in Salt Lake. You  may be saying, "What is the APH?" This is an association of people that have set out to preserve the life stories and family histories of people all over the world. What a cool experience to be among other people who share my passion. 
As many of you know, I have been trying to start my own business: Stories You Share. I interviewed my Grandma once before she passed away. Since then I have thought of about a million questions that I will have to wait until the next life to ask her. And it can't be recorded on Earth. I want to save other people from having that experience. 
I now have a few new ideas for products that I hope to come out with this year. So, stay posted for details on those soon. As of right now, here are some pictures of the things I have been able to create.

I actually didn't make this. These were the cool tote bags we got at conference.

Copies of the Memory books that I have created.

The book in the middle is one that I created for a project at school, but it has a lot of good examples of what I do.


Pages from my book: An Open Book. I helped design these pages with another girl. I also wrote and edited many of the pieces:






This picture is part of my grandma's book. It is out of order.

Here is the book I helped create for my father-in-law's 60th birthday. The memories were written by his wife, children, and grandchildren. They were collected by my sister-in-law, Thelma, and then I organized them in the book (after Thelma put them in chronological order):



These are pictures of my Grandmother's book. I just barely picked this up from the press three days ago. It represents 2 years of work. It is a relief to have the finished product finally:






Just so you know, not all the books have to have a red cover, I just thought it was nice, so that's what we got for these last two.
Here are a couple of the 16 posters that I designed and had printed for the conference:



Thank you APH for all the inspiration that you have given me. I finally feel like I know where to start and am excited for next year's conference when I will have new products to share with other members, and with the general public.


3 comments:

Thelma said...

This stuff all looks great Melanee. I give my endorsement that you do fabulous work.

Laura Gabby said...

Melanee, this sounds so cool. I would be great to continue hearing about it on your blog. I've really been wanting to talk to some of my older relatives lately. I love hearing people's stories, and being able to benefit from wisdom that comes with a full life.

Brittany said...

Melanee I am so impressed! It all looks so great!