Thursday, September 11, 2008

Birdy

Apparently I was wrong about my family reading our blog, and some of them do. Since that is the case, I thought I'd write about my sister for a moment. Sera, more affectionately known as Birdy, is my only sister. Nick, affectionately known as Boy, is my only brother. I have enjoyed growing up in a small family. When Nick was still just a little guy (which he is far from being now) Sera and I tried to pick on him. It didn't work too well, he would tattle. So, Nick and I ganged up on Birdy instead. This was a brilliant plan, because I was not the one getting picked on, Nick enjoyed being the picker oner as well, and Bird bore all of it and very rarely told on us. There was that time that Sera and I gave Nick a swirly and then saran wrapped him to a chair, but that's a story for a different day.
Birdy was a great sister. We got in trouble for laughing too loud far more often than we got in trouble for fighting. Of course, when we would get in trouble for laughing it only made it harder to contain the giggles. When we were young we would push our day-beds together and sleep in a nice little fort that we built. On one occasion we were sleeping right beside the open window. Our favorite cat, Skitters, decided to come visit and popped her head up in the window with a little meow. Oh how we screamed. It scared us nearly to death. Since the fright didn't actually send us over the edge, the giggling afterward nearly did.
Speaking of getting scared. I went through a time when I thought it was great fun to startle my siblings. Sera was the best target. I ran into the bathroom one day when she was in there and scared her so bad she almost fell off the toilet, then she started to cry because she was so fed up with being scared. That was hilarious. I'm a bad sister.
After we moved to California, Birdy and I had pretty much the same set of friends. I loved going out to hang out with friends and have my sister along. The best was when we would get home at 11:30 before fast Sunday and would spend the half hour stuffing ourselves as full as we could get so that we could hold out the next day. We struggled not to wake my dad up on those occasions.
Well, as the years went on I met the man of my dreams and spent all of my attention on him. My sister, who I had grown really close to over the years, was neglected. She even came down to visit me for my birthday when I was engaged and we spent the entire time hanging out with Ammon or doing wedding things. I was completely oblivious to the fact that I was ignoring my sister. After a few years of being married Birdy and I have grown close again. And then she runs off and gets herself married. It was a little strange for me being replaced by a boy, but all the same, we love Darrin and welcome him into the family. The newly weds spent the summer living close by in Midway. They are now moved back to Rexburg and I really miss having my sister near. So, while I'm pinning away and missing my sister (who can still get me laughing harder than anyone else I know) I thought I'd share some pictures from her wedding back in May. By-the-way, I miss my brother a lot too. He's grown up so much and is just as funny as Sera. I love his quiet humor. The Boy has a way of saying the funniest things at just the right moment. What a group the three of us make.

I love this picture. I think Birdy has a gorgeous smile. Doesn't she look happy?
And the happy groom. He's a bit of a goof, but we'll take him. Speaking of getting scared. I don't remember why were in a store with Sera and Darrin one day (Ammon and I refer to them as SDarrin), but Darrin decided to take his blood pressure on one of those little machines. Ammon came around the corner and purposely scared Darrin. The machine gave him an error message and wouldn't read his heart rate.
I love the pictures of the groom when you can tell that he is happier than he's ever been.
This little guy is now Birdy's nephew. He is the most dramatic, adorable, and funny little guy.
Cute.
Such a Sera look. She has several "looks," this is a good one.
All the bridesmaids with the bride. My hair was still long then.
The groomsmen being tough. Notice my enormous brother, he's right behind the groom.
What a handsome bunch. Especially the one on the end. Boy, you are hot.
During this picture Nick took it upon himself to tickle the brides feet, which made her very happy. And him smile very smugly.
Sera looks gorgeous in this picture. But we call it her quail picture. Can you guess why?
The happy couple in front of the temple.
Ahhh.
I miss you, Birdy. I miss you too, Boy. Welcome to the family Darrin. I can't believe how big our little number of 5 is growing.

2 comments:

Marshall said...

Ahh, so sweet. So happy. Bliss.

I'm more than a bird . . .

Hannah Stevenson said...

I love her dress...just beautiful!