Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cormac's Nearly Finished Room

We do a lot of projects here at the Dahl House. In our defense our house needs a lot of love. Well, less so now, but we still have things to do. I spent so much time making Azure's room nice that I wanted to do Cormac's as well. His room was one that I'd been meaning to get to For.E.Ver. So it was time. I set out to create a fun little boy haven.

Now for those who may or may not have been reading this blog a while back, this is what Cormac's room looked like when we purchased the place:


Sorry about the blurry pictures (can I, too, blame Thelma?). I did love that pink carpet. The closet was a mess. We had to tear it out because of some dry rot problems thanks to some serious issues in the bathroom.


We had the house re-carpeted. But not Cormac's room initially. Not until some repairs could be made on that closet.


For a long time it looked like this:




Our first remodel of the room turned out like this:






 A cozy place for a baby. But over time it had evolved. Cormac had taken all the toys off the cute shelf then hung on the shelf until it had nearly come entirely off the wall. It was time to repair that dresser. The bed was new. And the super awesome train blanket had to come down before it was ripped down from over-eager toddlers. And we had to make room for toys!


If you know much about us you know we are good at starting projects, not as awesome at finishing them. So we have yet to get the right tie backs for the curtains. And the awesome dresser that my dear Aunt Harriet gave us (thank so much!) is nearly finished. But I haven't decided on handles yet. Still working on that.



I made the signs for the wall by printing off pictures I liked, distressing canvas, and then modge podging it all together. I love how they turned out (and that they were cheap).


We needed more floor space. So I moved the old bookshelf into the closet to store his various large cars. Then I used these "art display" shelves from Ikea for books. I was worried he wouldn't keep the books up there, but actually he usually just gets down the couple he wants and then puts them right back. He's a good boy.



I painted the frame on the picture white because I was sick of the wood. And then we made the dresser nice and bright. I love color.


The best part of the room, or what I thought would be, is this wall:


I first painted it with magnet paint. Then I went over it with chalk board paint. Ammon made some trim and framed it in nicely, and there you have it. The problem is that the magnet paint is weak. I need to find some much stronger magnets. I had hoped to hang his artwork and stuff up there, but I haven't found any magnets strong enough to do that. But I'll get there. . . maybe.

So there you have it. The new look of the room (pictures as requested Mum:).

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

So cute! You do wonders! You can blame Thelma for blurry pictures and anything else you want!