Thursday, October 9, 2008

Clever but not

I often spend way too much time reading other people's blogs. I am constantly amazed by how creative everyone gets. I'm especially impressed with your backgrounds, where do you get those? I'm still a template girl. I also struggle to come up with fun stories that are amusing. For whatever reason being clever has always eluded me.
That being said, I have nothing clever of myself to write, but can vouch for my husband who happens to be more clever than several people combined. (Warning, I should be sleeping and I'm not.)
As many of you know, I have done several sleep studies in the last few months. They discovered that I didn't just have insomnia, but I actually have sleep apnea (which surprised us all since I'm not overweight and don't snore). I had to go in and sleep hooked up to a CPAP machine. It basically covers your entire nose and blows air at you. This is a little weird when you try to breath out, because there is resistance there. What is even worse is that when you open your mouth, all the air rushing up your nose rushes out your mouth leaving you to feel like you are suffocating. It is fabulous.
I thought that this last study, hooked up to this machine, was less than helpful. I didn't really sleep after all. But, that wasn't the conclusion the doctors have come to. So, I am being assigned a little machine of my own to take home. Something about the whole thing seems terribly disturbing, but at this point I'll give it a shot.
So, I asked Ammon how he felt about the machine. He sort of asked what I meant. I said, "well, it's not very sexy or anything like that."
"What? sleeping next to Darth Vader?"
Yes, sleeping next to Darth Vader. I asked again later in the evening to find out if he really was going to be okay with having a loud breathing machine hooked to me every night. I don't want the sounds and things to keep him awake. The dear man looked me straight in the eyes and said, "oh no, it's great, I love Star Wars."
Great.

8 comments:

Thelma said...

Mark already loves you but when he finds out about the Darth Vader thing that might just turn it into hero worship. He's still reeling from how cool it is to have a cousin named Luke.

If you (or Ammon) need a light saber we can hook you up.

May the force be with you.

dave said...

I too just found out I had sleep apnea. Have had the same experience with the open mouth stuff. It's been 2 weeks of sleeping with this device and I have more energy than I have had in years. After I did the overnight sleep test they told me I had 13 apneas per hour.

Before I got the machine my wife sat up after I fell asleep and said never once did my chest stop going up and down

I had heard from an attorney friend of mine that is skinny and doesn't snore he was diagnosed with advanced sleep apnea. He felt the industry was a bit of a scam. He has changed his mind as he feels great as well. took the test cause.

I'm sticking with it even if my wife call me the Elephant Man!!

Dave

Unknown said...

Wow Mel! This is great news! (Well, kinda). I'm glad they think they might have something that will help you. If it helps a little bit, it's worth it; right? :) Maybe you should buy black pj's and a cape, just to feel cool while you wear it. Better yet, you have become your own home security system. What kind of burglar would rob a room Darth is sleeping in?! PS... how's the book going?

Edda Phillips said...

haha What an awesome way to make you feel better! Go Ammon! As for cute blogs, that always annoyed me, too, that it seemed like I was the only one using the templates. Well here's the secret: thecutestblogonthebock.com It has cute backgrounds that are free and easy to upload onto your site. Have fun!

Edda Phillips said...

hey hey! Love the new look! ;)

Marshall said...

I really hope it helps you. Even if you are breathing like Darth Vader.

nersey said...

Mel,
As someone who sleeps next Darth vader (Matt has been on the machine for a year) there is nothing more sexy then a well rested spouse grrrrrowl!

nersey said...

Mel,
As someone who sleeps next Darth vader (Matt has been on the machine for a year) there is nothing more sexy then a well rested spouse grrrrrowl!