Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Future

It is sort of hard to tell from this picture, but Ammon is sporting a shorter haircut than usual. Let me start off by saying that it has now been decided that I should not plan my future around becoming a hairdresser or barber. Let me paint a picture for you:

It had been a hard day. It was a Saturday and both Ammon and I had spent the whole day working hard. We were both exhausted, but Ammon needed a haircut. He had needed one for a long time, but the largest attachment we have for his clippers is a 1 inch; which Ammon feels is too short. So we had put it off. We had even looked on another occasion for more attachments, but had failed (where does one find those anyway?). However, it was time. The back of his hair was getting curly (his son's is starting to do this now too). and it was time. So, we got out all the equipment. Ammon put the first attachment on, handed me the machine, and sat down. I placed the machine in the middle of his forhead and started the first pass down the middle of his head. As I was cutting I was thinking, "holy cow, this is A LOT of hair; how could we let it get this long." I got a little over halfway done with that row when Ammon calmly asked, "what size do you have on there?" You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, the I-just-did-something-really-bad-and-am-going-to-get-it-when-Dad-gets-home feeling? That is the feeling I got. I burst into tears (I'm still nursing, chalk that one up to hormones). Now, don't get me wrong, I had no dilusions that I would "get in trouble" by Ammon, but I did think he would be upset and I felt really bad. The whole reason we had put off this haircut was because Ammon didn't want his hair that short.

You see. Normally when I cut Ammon's hair I start at the base of the neck and do the shortest layer first. Ammon had put the attachment on that would have been the back of his hair. I had blown it. I ran and got a mirror. Then Ammon did something that amazed me. He started laughing. He thought it was funny! I finished the haircut with the much shorter attachments and he still looks extremely handsome, as usual. But we have decided that hair cutting is probably not in my future. It may not even be in my future as far as my two boys are concerned. Ammon may never trust me again.

But, to be honest, I think he will. Ammon still thinks it's funny. He could have been mad. He could have been really upset. Heaven knows I would have been. But he chose to react calmly. Just proof that I have the best husband in the world. He is so good to me. And he is always cool and collected in bad situations. He is so innovative and he gets us through rough times by the way he reacts, and by always being a thinker. I'm so thankful to have him. And just look at how cute he is snuggled up with his son, sleeping on the couch.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Marshall said...

Haha. How funny. Don't you love good husbands? They just make life so much better.

Diane said...

That's awesome that he just laughed. I think that if our husbands want us to cut their hair, they're going to have to have a sense of humor! I used to cut the top of Adam's hair with scissors because we had the same problem you guys have, the 1-incher was just too short for Adam's liking. Anyway, so once I somehow cut a chunk way to short on one side... Needless to say, we now own both 1 1/4 and a 1 1/2 inch attachments. Our clippers are Wahl, and we ordered them from their website. You also might find then at places like Sally's, we looked there but they didn't have our brand in a big enough size. Happy hunting!

Olivia Cobian said...

I think it's a great looking haircut.

Robert Johnson said...

We decided much earlier on in our marriage that I wouldn't cut Robert's hair. And that was even with all the attachments.

I'm so sorry I forgot to credit you guys with the gift for my parents. I feel terrible! I'm glad Ammon could laugh about that too.

Teresa said...

I thought Ammon's haircut looked really nice when I saw you both at the Christmas Eve party.