Friday, May 29, 2009

They were right

A few weeks ago I went to get my hair cut. I have been to this place a lot before, so I know the people that work there pretty well (as well as you get to know people in a place like that). There was only one other woman in there and she seemed like a nice sort. So, I made my announcement. The women who work in there are newly weds and were extremely excited for me. Just the sort of attention I wanted. But the new lady wasn't in the mood to praise, I guess. Rather than say anything she gave me the most patronizing smile I have ever seen. Anytime I said anything about my pregnancy she would give me the "you have no idea what you are talking about" smile. I hate that smile. I wanted to shout at her, "So, I've only done this once. You had to have your first pregnancy at one point too. And how do you know what mine is like? You aren't in my body!" Sometimes I have a temper.
I have noticed that women really like to know more than each other. We somehow take pleasure in thinking that we have been there and done that. I find that the worst offender is pregnancy. If you have been pregnant before than you know all there is to know about everything and all these new moms are just rookies. Well, that may be. But from what I've heard and from what I've experienced, no two pregnancies are a like, so how could anyone possibly know everything. I don't know. But some women do.
Despite my dislike for all of these know it all's that give "the smile" I have found that they are all right on one point. Every one of these patronizers has told me to just "wait until you feel the baby move." They all attest that it doesn't get better than that. They were right. I felt our little one move 2 days ago. It brings tears to my eyes and smile to my face every time that I feel that. Being pregnant has not been easy for me. But feeling that there is actually a person inside me makes it all worth while. While I hope that I will never be one of "the smile" givers I will fully admit that in this instance they were right.

P.S. Forgive my rant. I couldn't help but get that out there, it has been driving me crazy. And I don't think of everyone who has told me to look forward to the first time the baby moves as fitting in to this category, for the record.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

How exciting, Melanee! I'm so happy you felt the baby. We're excited to see you soon.

Original Kos said...

Ah, yes. Happens with marriage too....

I am so happy you have those moments of bonding with your baby. Pregnancy is so special. Yours is your own, and how you feel and act and what you like and dislike is completely your own too. Don't let anybody dampen your spirits. It's hard enough already, right?

(look at me, talking like I know...)